On 31 Jan 2002, Dave Royer wrote:
> I just got the laterst edition of "Linux Journal" in the mail and the
> cover story is about setting up your own wireless network at home.
>
> My question is, has anyone set up a base station using one of the
> Orinoco cards?

I've used Orinoco cards under Linux; haven't done base station mode,
though. (IIRC, they can't become a true base station, just ad-hoc mode..)

> I tried playing with the D-Link DWL-650 card which is based on the
> Prism2 chip but it doesn't look like it is possible to work with it
> without a whole lot of work modifying binary images and updating the
> firmware.

Nope.
If you grab the prism2-hostap drivers, it'll work fine without the
tertiary firmware. Otherwise, there are plenty of (illegal) copies of the
firmware floating around the 'net that you can get easily.

> Looking at a few sites, it seems that the Orinoco cards are much
> better supported but before I grab some I wanted to see if anyone has
> experience with them versus the Prism2 cards.

Prism2 cards work very well once you get everything configured..