On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:11:36AM -0600, Troy.A Johnson wrote:
> TCLUGers,
>
> I have a box that I use because I am
> too cheap to buy a DVD player. While
> that may change in the future, for now
> I get hours of enjoyment tinkering with
> it, but those hours do not come from a
> neverending supply, so I ask these
> questions.
>
> Is there a Linux distribution that is better
> suited/comes with DVD playback stuff,
> or is there an app that will do it for any
> disto?
>
> The box is:
> K6-2 450
> 384MB SDRAM
> 4GB HDD
> 16X DVDROM
> Voodoo3 3000 w/video out
>
> Is this box too weak for this task?

Yes. (I have a similar machine with K6-III/500 MHz).

> If so, where is the weakest point, in your
> opinion?

CPU and/or video drivers.

The same machine plays DVD's just fine in windows with any
ATI board and ATI DVD player (ATI boards have hardware
accelerated mpeg decoding - too bad they don't make that
available on Linux), but for pure software decoding,
you need a 700 MHz class machine. Or a supported hardware
decoding (that is an additional pci board that you route
your video signal thru and it replaces a big blue rectangle
on the screen with the movie - unfortunately, it alters the
overall image quality : the ATI decoder has much better
contrast and colors than the Creative DXR3 card I have).

> It may be just too weak because it
> does work under w98se and w2kp,
> but video is choppy (moreso under
> w2kp).
>
> Any advice for easy DVD playback
> (so my wife can use it too) would be
> appreciated.

Upgrade mobo/cpu. I just paid $160 at newegg.com for a
Duron 1.2 GHz / ECS K7S5A (it works with PC100 RAM).

florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4