On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> a. it stores its messages in binary database files; so I can't readily
> use tools like grep, grepmail, procmail, vi, and logrotate to manage
> them. :)
>
> b. from what I hear, these files get corrupted on a regular basis; and
> they take *forever* to fix. I know of an administrator who has a quad
> xeon box, just for rebuilding corrupt Exchange databases. (and it
> still takes many hours to rebuild them).

(note, never touched exchange myself; these are based on what other people
have said)

Both of these are addressed if you set up the message store to be an SQL
server, or so someone said earlier this week on the list.

> c. I've seen Exchange spontaneously change settings without telling
> the administrator; such as opening itself up as a relay for the world.
> (this seems to be on a par with other MS products, and the primary
> reason I gave up Windows).

Yup, seen this one too. Good argument for throwing a sendmail box with
mimedefang (spamassassin and virus filtering.. without touching windows!)
in front of the exchange server.