I'm putting this under a different subject, so people can freely delete the
entire thread if they like. :)

>  From a corporate point of view Exchange is a pretty sweet setup. In
> addition to integrating e-mail, address book and scheduling services, it
> makes it easy to apply consistent policies across the company. If the
> legal weenies say that internal e-mails should be archived for 6 months
> and external e-mails for 3 years, Exchange can do that for you. If you
> want deleted messages to be available for recovery for 45 days, Exchange
> can do that as well. Of course it integrates into the existing MS
> security model for dealing with authenticating users and assigning
> privileges, and it can provide access to pop/imap clients and web
> browsers as well.

This is one of the most reasoned arguments I've heard in favor of Exchange.
Thank you. :)

my main concerns with Exchange are:
a. it stores its messages in binary database files; so I can't readily use
tools like grep, grepmail, procmail, vi, and logrotate to manage them. :)

b. from what I hear, these files get corrupted on a regular basis; and they
take *forever* to fix. I know of an administrator who has a quad xeon box,
just for rebuilding corrupt Exchange databases. (and it still takes many
hours to rebuild them).

c. I've seen Exchange spontaneously change settings without telling the
administrator; such as opening itself up as a relay for the world. (this
seems to be on a par with other MS products, and the primary reason I gave
up Windows).

does anyone have reasonable responses for these?

(of course, reason d. is that 'it only runs on Windows'; but I want to just
examine the application here, not the underlying OS).

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises