On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 08:09:59PM -0400, Duncan Shannon wrote:
> Hey list-
>
> Ive gotten two automated messages in the last couple of days on my voice
> mail...
>
> "Please contact us imedieatly re: your accout so we dont have to
> havefurther action on your account. Please call 1-800-354-2761 imedieatly"
>
> Or something close to that.  They didnt give a company name or any
> identifying info, other than the phone number.  I actually called it back
> tonite, and they guy answerd in a muffled "somehting and associates" ...

[snip]

> I feel that i have some rights to complain here... i remember people
> talking about calling the PUC or something like that? Who can i complain
> to? it felt very much like a scam.
>
> thanks for your input. id be very curious to know if anyone knows anything
> about this.
>
> duncan

That's very interesting, I got an automated call today from
"Correctional Billing Services" claiming that 'Someone' had been attempting
to contact me, but couldn't because of a problem with my telephone provider,
it goes on to say that I can call their 800# and 'fix' the issue with my
telco for up to five phone numbers, after calling the number it acts like
they a billing service of some sort, then says I should punch in my phone
number for my 'account', which of course, does not exist.

I chose not to 'create a new account', and their helpdesk was 'closed'
even though I called back during what they claimed to be business hours
in the recorded message.

Seems like the number of unsolicited calls has continued to increase
over the past few months (I've never had any except from AT&T trying to
get me to use their LD service). I've had the service (AT&T cable phone
service) for over a year and a half now.