On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 10:35:12PM -0500, Erik Mitchell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been given the task of trying to make some fileserver space
> available to a couple of Macintosh users in my department. Our main file
> server is a Windows 2000 cluster, with 260+ gigs of space (I know, I
> don't make the decisions, ok?). We would like to use space from that
> cluster because it gets backed up nightly.
>
> My idea is to set up a Linux box with Samba client and atalkd. I would
> mount a shared folder with Samba from the cluster server and put it
> somewhere in the directory tree, say /mnt/macs. I would then symbolic
> link the two users' home folders to /mnt/macs, so that when they mount
> the Linux box as an appletalk server (their home folders) they're really
> just mounting samba space that actually exists on the W2k file server.
>
> This seems to resemble trickery, and I'm not sure whether I can get away
> with it. I'm not sure what the Linux box would actually be doing in such
> a situation, and whether you can serve from a part of the file system
> that is really just a share from another server.

This sounds overly complicated to me.  If you've got Win2k fileservers, you
can just use The Win2k Tools for Macintosh stuff to share out your files
via appletalk directly from your Win2k servers.  We're working on a similar
solution here.

Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu