Speaking from experience, netatalk, the software suite that includes
atalkd, is not as robust as we would sometimes like it.  OfficeXP
software tweaks bugs over locking issues and other things.  I cannot
recall if there are any Open Source solutions for what you require.
Ideally, you'd like to go directly to the Windows 2k cluster w/o using a
middleman.  I found this site which referenced a number of products that
will allow you to do that:

    http://www.macwindows.com/Network.html

I would certainly try out the netatalk and see if it works for you.  We
have successfully deployed it here at the IMA with the exception of a
few programs.  There are other weird quirky bugs that pop up, but most
have been worked out either through configuration or simply "Don't do
that" messages.  I'm moderately pleased with it.

Your proposal is certainly doable.  Install the samba and netatalk tools
and make sure your kernel supports mounting samba shares.  You're going
to loose some user and group translations in the setup most likely, so
I'd be strict with the accounts you give the Mac users.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie