Austad, Jay wrote:

>Ok, I know this isn't even close to a linux question, but due to the nature
>of this list, a lot of the members work in high stress, hectic environments.
>

>My job just became a whole lot more complex, and I was having trouble before
>staying organized and on top of things, and now, it's just going to get
>worse.  What are some good techniques you use to stay organized?  Do you use
>a PDA

I use a Sony Clie, and it is great. If you're forced to be in a
Windows/Office environment like me, you can sync it with Outlook. I find
the todo list is great if I have the right attitude about it. That is,
if I take pride in keeping it down to zero, or two, or however many
things left is appropriate at the time.

>, a pen and paper?  How do you write things down and categorize them to
>make sure they get done?
>
>Many people on this list are just starting in the tech industry, and could
>surely benefit from the knowledge on how to stay organized.  Unfortunately,
>the techniques I learned several years ago aren't good enough, and now it's
>turning around to bite me in the ass.

I've been out of college for about 10 months and in the tech industry
for about 9. I'm not doing anything special, tech support/junior network
admin, but it's work I enjoy. We have a ticket system for tracking
problems for our users, using a (crappy) program called HEAT. I know
there are lots of open source systems like that out there. Perhaps it
would be worth your time to put one to use for yourself. It's nice when
they are able to tie together tasks, people, and histories of the two. I
know we sometime avoid the old ass-chomp because we catch something in
the history lists.

><sad attempt at staying on topic>
>Are there any linux programs that would help?
></sad attempt at staying on topic>

I don't know what your field of expertise is, but maybe putting together
a little web/php/mysql organizer for yourself would be the right thing
to do. That way you can check it whereever you happen to be?

Just a few ideas, good luck!

Erik