On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Timothy Wilson wrote:

> You know, I've been using Debian for a while now and I've never bothered to
> use apt-get source. Does the source build automatically install itself in
> place of the existing binary version? If so, how is that different than
> "backporting" a binary from another Debian version?

If you use apt-get -b source apache it will. :)

The difference is that the new package will be built agnist the older libs
of your potato install instead of the newer libs in woody. The difference
is version numbers. It's very lickly that the woody package will depend on
newer libs that are in woody, and thus won't install.

When you rebuild the package, debhelper should change the varsions
accordingly, and all will be happy and what not. debs are just neat, but
they don't always behave between dists. The same goes for redhat, except
debs are smarter :)

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
"We can learn much more from wise words, little
from wisecracks and less from wise guys."
--William Arthur Ward