On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Andy Zbikowski (Zibby) wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Timothy Wilson wrote:
>
> > You know, I've been using Debian for a while now and I've never bothered to
> > use apt-get source. Does the source build automatically install itself in
> > place of the existing binary version? If so, how is that different than
> > "backporting" a binary from another Debian version?
>
> If you use apt-get -b source apache it will. :)
>
> The difference is that the new package will be built agnist the older libs
> of your potato install instead of the newer libs in woody. The difference
> is version numbers. It's very lickly that the woody package will depend on
> newer libs that are in woody, and thus won't install.

I'm actually running a 2.4.x kernel on this box. Right away after installing
Potato I updated a few packages (using someone's collection of "required
debs for running 2.4.x on Potato") to be compatible with the 2.4
requirements. Perhaps that would help?

Otherwise, I suppose I could upgrade the whole thing to woody. I've had
absolutely no problems with woody on another server of mine, but I get a
little nervous about the prospect of putting woody on our school district's
Web server.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com