On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Nate Straz wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 06:05:30PM -0500, Timothy Wilson wrote:
> > The current Debian release ("Potato") uses apache 1.3.9. I would really like
> > to be using a later version because of a small feature that is unavailable
> > in 1.3.9. Debian Woody has a version that would work, but I'm a bit nervous
> > about installing it on my production server. Anyone tried this? Any
> > problems?
>
> Try setting your deb-src lines in /etc/apt/sources.list to a woody
> directory, then `apt-get source apache` and do the build yourself.

You know, I've been using Debian for a while now and I've never bothered to
use apt-get source. Does the source build automatically install itself in
place of the existing binary version? If so, how is that different than
"backporting" a binary from another Debian version?

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com