On Tue, 2001-09-18 at 06:55, Raymond Norton wrote:
> I use an ipchains script on my Linux box to get Internet to my win98 machine.
> Up till yesterday it was working fine. One minute it was working , the next it
> stopped. I now can only get to web sites by IP address. I have not
changed anything that I know of. Can some one tell me what I might
verify, or change on the script to be sure the DNS works for the
workstation. Also would like to know if I am to use real name servers in
TCP settings for Win98, or the IP of the Linux box. Presently I was
using the name servers of my ISP. Any other ideas would be appreciated,
including some alternative scripts or programs to use my Linux box as a
gateway. Presently I am using the firewall.sh script from the plonk
project.

So, if I understand you correctly, your Linux box is acting as a gateway
for your Windows machine?

If this is correct, then your Windows box should have the actual DNS
server IP addresses for its DNS servers, and your Linux box for its
gateway. Since it sounds like you can reach the Internet via IP
addressing from your Windows box, this (gateway) part is set up
correctly.

It definitely sounds like a DNS issue. Verify that the IP addresses you
are using are correct, and see if you can ping those addresses (to make
sure the servers are up, although DNS may still be broken on them even
if they respond to a ping). If you can verify that DNS is not
respoonding, call your ISP -- it is most likely their problem, and they
may even know about it if other customers have already called.

You may want to consider setting up at least a caching DNS server on
your Linux gateway. It will take some of the load off your network
connection (no need to query an Internet DNS server if your caching
server has the information), and can even help in a case such as this,
where most of your commonly-visited sites will be in its cache, and so
no DNS lookup need be done.

Dave