On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 11:16:58AM -0500, Andy Zbikowski (Zibby) wrote:
> | Okay, it only took a little "neglect" to make her use Linux for 6 months
> | last year until she figured out how to get online from windows.
> | I told her how to ssh into our gateway to get ppp running and that just
> | worked for her. I ruined it myself by going online from her computer (in
> | Win98) one day and she asked me how I did that! ;-) and she just stayed
> | in windows of shear convenience.
>
> Get pppd working in demand mode. That way when you open your browser on a
> machine on the network pppd will just dial. Your inital connection to the
> webpage will timeout, but connection is automatic.

I couldn't get that working, btw it was a dial-back connection which
took 2++ minutes to get up and running, I'm sure the browser would time
out before the machine got connected.

And that was back in Denmark, really not a problem here with cable modem
and we had dsl the last 6 months of our stay there.

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer>