Oh where to weigh in. How about with my laptop. I currently have a p266
laptop. I recently dropped in an extra 64mb or ram (best $25 I've spent
lately) but before that it just had 32mb or RAM. Running netscape 4.7 on
this machine was rather painful. (I use blackbox as a window manager) I
tried out Opera on the thing and it ran wonderfully with just 32mb of ram.
Now that I have 96mb or ram in the thing I still run blackbox as the WM
and Opera as the browser. Leaves me enough memory/processor time to do
other stuff.

I would never consider running KDE or GNOME on this machine. I know from
experience that they are just too big. A 3000Mhz with 128mb of RAM is a
good machine for KDE or GNOME.

Until then, try other window managers. IceWM is really nice for Windows
converts, and is fast/lightweight, etc. Window Maker takes some getting
used to, but it's nice. FVWM2 is...well...FVWM2. It works. I never got
into configuring it though. QVWM is another Windows like thing. The single
config file is it's big advantage.

OK, this topic has been beaten to death...

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
"We can learn much more from wise words, little
from wisecracks and less from wise guys."
--William Arthur Ward