On Tuesday 11 September 2001 06:27, Paul Rech wrote:
> Shawn Fertch wrote:
> > Problem:  I have a home LAN comprised of various OS machines (Slack 8,
> > Free BSD 4.2, Solaris 8, Win9x, Win2k), with the gateway machine having
> > Slack 8 and an external 56k modem as my connection to the internet.  The
> > gateway machine has all of the connection information in there correctly,
> > and I added the following lines to the end of my rc.local file for the
> > internal machines to get outside:
>
> I'm not a network guy, so be warned.
> I've been running a similar LAN for a long time with no problems.
> But I have the ipchains script on the gateway machine only.  Not on any
> internal machines.
>
> /sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
> /sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j MASQ
>
> Then I dial up with ppp on that gateway machine, like any other ppp
> connection.
<Snip>

> Sounds like you have a PPP connection problem also, that is separate from
> the LAN configuration.
> Can't help you there.
>
> Paul Rech

Thanks Paul.  One thing, the gateway is the only machine that I have the
ipchains rules and PPP on.  I'm trying to get that one to connect first, then
worry about the internal LAN connection.  Rereading what I wrote, it sounds
confusing but only the connection information is on the gateway.

I'm not certain though that it's a PPP issue.  I think it's a network
protocol issue and I'm not sure where or how to figure out how to get past it.

Shawn