Shawn Fertch wrote:

> I've been reading through the different HOW-TO's to try and figure a problem
> out.  I posted a little bit ago asking this question, but didn't receive an
> answer.  I really need to get this going but can't find the answer to what
> I'm looking for in the how-to's.
>
> Problem:  I have a home LAN comprised of various OS machines (Slack 8, Free
> BSD 4.2, Solaris 8, Win9x, Win2k), with the gateway machine having Slack 8
> and an external 56k modem as my connection to the internet.  The gateway
> machine has all of the connection information in there correctly, and I added
> the following lines to the end of my rc.local file for the internal machines
> to get outside:

I'm not a network guy, so be warned.
I've been running a similar LAN for a long time with no problems.
But I have the ipchains script on the gateway machine only.  Not on any internal
machines.

/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j MASQ

Then I dial up with ppp on that gateway machine, like any other ppp connection.

The internal machines have a default gateway that is the IP address of the
gateway machine.
That's all they have.  They don't run ppp at all.

    route add default gw <gateway_IP>

When I want to connect, I telnet to the gateway machine and set off PPP.
That's it.  Not elegant, but it always works for me.

Sounds like you have a PPP connection problem also, that is separate from the
LAN configuration.
Can't help you there.

Paul Rech