I've been reading through the different HOW-TO's to try and figure a problem
out.  I posted a little bit ago asking this question, but didn't receive an
answer.  I really need to get this going but can't find the answer to what
I'm looking for in the how-to's.

Problem:  I have a home LAN comprised of various OS machines (Slack 8, Free
BSD 4.2, Solaris 8, Win9x, Win2k), with the gateway machine having Slack 8
and an external 56k modem as my connection to the internet.  The gateway
machine has all of the connection information in there correctly, and I added
the following lines to the end of my rc.local file for the internal machines
to get outside:

ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -i ppp0 -j MASQ

With this machine connected to my LAN, I can get it to dial.  I hear the ISP
pickup and the handshake begin.  However, the modem hangs up because it can't
get authorization.  I'm assuming that it's because when my system is trying
to authenticate to the ISP it's attempting to from my LAN instead of the ISP.
 I ran into this once before on my laptop, but I just disabled my LAN and
redialed.  However with the box that's dialing being my gateway, that isn't
an option.

Below is the closest thing to an answer that I can find/think of that might
be causing this issue.  IIRC, this came out of the PPPD how-to.

<<Speaking of the options file, one of the things that MUST be in
    there no matter how you start pppd is this: '192.0.2.1:XXX.XXX.XX.XX'.
    What this is is 'localIPaddress:remoteIPaddress'. You need it there
    because normally pppd can fill in the blank itself, but fails when
    connecting to an emulator.>>

 I've read the Networking and Net How-to's but didn't seem find anything that
addresses this issue.  Can someone tell me if this is the cause of my issue
why I can't successfully connect to my ISP through modem dial-in?  I used to
have ISDN with this working, but I don't recall what I did previously or
where I got the information.  Also, the box has been reloaded since I got rid
of my ISDN.

--
Shawn

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply.  Willing is not enough, we must do."
-- Bruce Lee