> > You are talking about ext2/dump or xfs/xfsdump?
	ext2 dump. xfsdump may be a completely different animal for all I
know.

> At the time Linus has a big problem with ext2/dump.  I don't know if he
> still does, but I think Linus's problem was with dump producing bad
> output or not restoring stuff correctly.
	that was the primary problem, yes.

> I haven't heard anything about the corruption on read-only file systems
> for quite some time.  I think they were actually using dd as the example
> program for this.
	at least the example I'm thinking of, talked about r-o fs corruption
because of some wierd case of cache corruption, because of dump.
	was mentioned on lwn.net's kernel page, some months ago.

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises