On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 02:04:14AM -0500, Florin Iucha wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 09:20:45PM -0500, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> > > Put a [xfs]dump in cron.
> >
> > from what I've heard, dump may be dangerous on linux 2.4 kernels. something
> > to do with how buffers and raw devices are handled now, as opposed
> > to how they used to be.
>
> You are talking about ext2/dump or xfs/xfsdump?

At the time Linus has a big problem with ext2/dump.  I don't know if he
still does, but I think Linus's problem was with dump producing bad
output or not restoring stuff correctly.

I haven't heard anything about the corruption on read-only file systems
for quite some time.  I think they were actually using dd as the example
program for this.  Hmm, I can't seem to find it in either kernel-traffic
or my feeble search in linux-kernel.

As far as I've tested, xfsdump is safe on i386.  I don't see any bugs
open on xfsdump in the bug tracking system.

Nate