> > I haven't heard anything about the corruption on read-only file systems
> > for quite some time.  I think they were actually using dd as the example
> > program for this.
> 	at least the example I'm thinking of, talked about r-o fs corruption
> because of some wierd case of cache corruption, because of dump.
> 	was mentioned on lwn.net's kernel page, some months ago.

ok, I found the reference. my apologies; it's not actually read-only
filesystems that can be corrupted; it's just /filesystems that the dump
process has no write access to/ and other processes do.

http://lwn.net/2001/0503/kernel.php3
<<<
*Trashing your filesystem with dump.* It has been known for a very long time
that using dump to back up live filesystems can result in corrupt backups.
It turns out that, with Linux kernels through 2.4.4, dumping a live
filesystem has the potential to corrupt the filesystem in place, even if the
dump process has no write access.

Alexander Viro reported the bug which makes this possible. It can happen
only on SMP systems, and is not easy to trigger, but it is there.
Essentially, if the filesystem allocates a new metadata block for the
filesystem, and a separate process reads that block at the wrong time, the
wrong data will be written back to disk. The fix is relatively
straightforward, and has already been incorporated into 2.4.5pre1.

Linus pointed out an interesting little fact as part of this discussion:
dump will not work correctly on 2.4-based systems in any case. The
filesystem keeps quite a bit of useful information in the page cache - and
will do so even more in the future. dump, however, works with the raw
device, which deals with the buffer cache instead. The two are not always
synchronized, and it is possible that dump will end up reading the wrong
data. In case that's not clear enough:

So anybody who depends on "dump" getting backups right is already playing
russian rulette with their backups. It's not at all guaranteed to get the
right results - you may end up having stale data in the buffer cache that
ends up being "backed up".

For now, there is really no easy way to fix dump for 2.4. If you're using
it, this might be a good time to go looking for a different tool.

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises