On Wednesday 05 September 2001 21:29, you wrote:
> I'm a linux newbie.  I want to learn more.  I spent some time at the
> bookstore looking at linux books.  They were all of the "how to use KDE"
> variety.  I might be dumb but I'm not stupid!  I don't need some book
> telling me how a GUI works.
>
> I'm looking for info on a class, book, person etc that can teach me how
> linux really works--the much ballyhooed command line.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
>
> TeamStrange Airheads, Inc.
> By: Adam S. Wolkoff
> Vice President, Special Projects
> adam at teamstrange.com <mailto:adam at teamstrange.com>
> http://www.teamstrange.com

The book I used to teach Linux at Duluth Business University was:

A Practical Guide to Linux
by Mark G Sobell, Addison Wesley

It goes into a significant amount of detail on subjects from the file system
to shell usage/scripting for bash, tcsh, and zsh. Its a little "old" at this
point (c)1997 but its still a good basic book.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com