Rick Engebretson wrote:

> Linux is the best PC OS ever. But I have not seen it offered with the
> level of clarity that most people would be ready to jump into. Despite
> rapid improvements, even installing and booting can be complex.
> Configuring LILO or loadlin or using the MBR or partitioning or
> partitionless or adding kernel parameters or writing scripts (etc.)
> require advanced skills. Same with compiling an optimal kernel. Such
> complexities inhibit wider acceptance of Linux. Numerical analysis,
> medical imaging, process controls, mechanical design, point of sale, auto
> junkyards, etc., don't care which version of glibc you have. A huge
> market is ready for a simpler Linux "seed." Usually, details and
> refinements are realized after the overall outline is appreciated.
> Offering the public a very simple Linux starting point will quickly
> launch many new Linux enthusiasts into the depths of its capabilities.
> Clearly, this group has the knowledgebase to offer a Linux with training
> wheels.

I'd be willing to get into something like this.  It would be a great
project to further my linux skills.
TCLUG linux...  Linux w/ Training Wheels.
Interesting. :)

> But integrating java, staroffice, and kylix on the same linux platform is
> not obvious; and suppressing java error messages still eludes me. The
> directory structure is quite different between SuSE and Red Hat.
> Configuration tools vary. Process and memory management is not for
> beginners. Even creating links ("shortcuts"), mounting drives, editing
> fstab, setting up permissions, setting up samba, etc., are tough for all
> but a few. These difficulties cloud the overriding elegance of the linux
> file system and layered structure.

There is the Linux standard now.  That would be a good place to start.
Every mainstream/recent distro should support this.

> Maybe it's the farmer in me, but planting a seedling is always better
> than trying to move a whole tree.

Some of us just don't have the time nor patience for that.
:)

sim