I can only speak from a limited software expertise. But having learned
programming using punch cards and having studied under the inventor of
digital electronics (Otto Schmitt), computing evolution is rather clear.
I'm encouraging some very talented people of this group to, on occasion,
step back from the details and see the big picture.

Linux is the best PC OS ever. But I have not seen it offered with the
level of clarity that most people would be ready to jump into. Despite
rapid improvements, even installing and booting can be complex.
Configuring LILO or loadlin or using the MBR or partitioning or
partitionless or adding kernel parameters or writing scripts (etc.)
require advanced skills. Same with compiling an optimal kernel. Such
complexities inhibit wider acceptance of Linux. Numerical analysis,
medical imaging, process controls, mechanical design, point of sale, auto
junkyards, etc., don't care which version of glibc you have. A huge
market is ready for a simpler Linux "seed." Usually, details and
refinements are realized after the overall outline is appreciated.
Offering the public a very simple Linux starting point will quickly
launch many new Linux enthusiasts into the depths of its capabilities.
Clearly, this group has the knowledgebase to offer a Linux with training
wheels.

I'm excited about the Linux contributions of IBM, Sun, and Borland. IBM
has an active developers' forum. Sun's StarOffice 5.2 is comprehensive
with improvements promised in 6.0. Borland's Kylix is the best API I
could hope for. Certainly, other contributors should be mentioned. The
ingredients are there to ultimately build a premier system.

But integrating java, staroffice, and kylix on the same linux platform is
not obvious; and suppressing java error messages still eludes me. The
directory structure is quite different between SuSE and Red Hat.
Configuration tools vary. Process and memory management is not for
beginners. Even creating links ("shortcuts"), mounting drives, editing
fstab, setting up permissions, setting up samba, etc., are tough for all
but a few. These difficulties cloud the overriding elegance of the linux
file system and layered structure.

Maybe it's the farmer in me, but planting a seedling is always better
than trying to move a whole tree.

On 9/2/01, 10:02:13 PM, Jason Hataye <hata0006 at tc.umn.edu> wrote regarding
[TCLUG] Re: Developing an integrated Linux.sdm: