On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 04:34:34PM -0500, Mike Hicks wrote:
> Lorry <fish at slava.net> wrote:
> > 2) make special characters in my own emails
> > in Linux.  I know how to in my other operating system which I would
> > prefer not to have to use.  I've tried searching for information on
> > this, but I always end up finding Linux information in various
> > languages, rather than information on how to so this.  Any info on this?
>
> Well, if you have a Windows keyboard, you can set up those extra buttons
> to actually be somewhat useful.  My right Windows button (pops up the
> Start menu) is set up to act as a `compose' key.  If I press it, then a
> letter, and then another character, I can get certain international
> characters to come up.

Also, there are ways specific to various programs for getting
special characters.  For example to get a "ö" in LaTeX, use \"o.
In Vim type Control-k the letter and then a punctuation - to get
a "ç" type "Control-k c," or to get "é" type "Control-k e'".

If the examples I have shown above show up as "?"s then you may
have to fiddle with some environment variables. I have
"LANG=en_US" and "LC_COLLATE=C" (which isn't necessary, but keeps
the order for ls from being changed from the traditional order).