On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 06:53:21PM -0600, andy at theasis.com wrote:
> > I think James was hinting to creating a database and web interface to
> > the TCLUG Media Exchange.  Might I suggest PHP and PostgreSQL? ;-) (BTW,
>
> This theorizing is all well and good, but it seems that the primary
> goal is to get someone who will actually make something that will do
> the job.  PHP, perl, postgres, MySQL, Oracle...whatever.  I don't care
> and I can't see how it matters until someone is gonna sit down and
> write the thing.

Are you volunteering?  I don't have a whole lot of time, but I'm willing
to add a bit of effort to help setup the database at least.  I do a lot
of similar jobs at work anyway.  Such an application may benefit us as
well, though it wouldn't be top priority.

> If this degenerates into a language or DB holy war then it's never
> gonna happen.

<rant typerexp="holy|lang(uage)?|d(ata)?b(ase)?">
    For the record, when I ask a question about a particular language,
    such as "Can I do this?", I truely want to know ABOUT THAT LANGUAGE.
    I know well enough that it CAN be done in yet another language...
    BUT THAT'S NOT MY QUESTION!  OK?  Got it, people?  Geeze.
</rant>

> An adequate solution has to consider a lot of things that are
> independent of that debate.

What debate?  Is it wrong to use this as -- oh my, the horror -- a
discussion list?  Just because someone wants to be the town crier for
Perl doesn't mean that we're not having a discussion.

> Far more important is figuring out how to handle the logistics (as
> Phil mentioned),

Sounds like you've got a good handle on what these many important
logistical considerations might be.  Why not put your fingers to
keyboard and write up your "formal proposal", because obviously, we're
your "code monkeys."

> finding someone who will make the time to develop the necessary
> bookkeeping tools, can be run (administered) easily on the LUG site,
> and ending up with something that someone else is willing and able to
> maintain when the original author gets bored.
>
> I have the magazines, as well as a couple books that I'm happy to
> donate.  Since James volunteered the space, I'll work out with him how
> to deliver the material. I suggest that we discuss the whole problem
> enough to come up with some requirements and viable approaches, then
> leave it up to those who will commit to implementing them to decide
> what's easiest for them.

Wow.  Looks like you've already taken the initiative to coordinate
things.  Perhaps we can continue to use this, dare I say it, discussion
list to iron out some details.

<dig type="surfer">
    Duuuuuuuuude.  Like, don't put your underwear like on spin rinse
    while you're still wearing them.  That's totally, like, creating a
    sucking hole of pain that's weezin' on our, like, vibe, and stuff.
</dig>

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD