On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 11:08:40AM -0600, phil at rephil.org wrote:
> > I'm thinking about how to handle these things without letting them
> > become burdensome.  Not that LUG members couldn't do it all on the
> > honor system, but someone's going to borrow a Perl book and get lost
> > in their coding and forget that they forgot to return it.  I don't
> > have the answer yet, but if I think of something, I'll let you know.
>
> I think James was hinting to creating a database and web interface to
> the TCLUG Media Exchange.  Might I suggest PHP and PostgreSQL? ;-) (BTW,

This theorizing is all well and good, but it seems that the primary goal
is to get someone who will actually make something that will do the job.
PHP, perl, postgres, MySQL, Oracle...whatever. I don't care and I can't
see how it matters until someone is gonna sit down and write the thing. If
this degenerates into a language or DB holy war then it's never gonna
happen.

An adequate solution has to consider a lot of things that are independent
of that debate. Far more important is figuring out how to handle the
logistics (as Phil mentioned), finding someone who will make the time to
develop the necessary bookkeeping tools, can be run (administered) easily
on the LUG site, and ending up with something that someone else is
willing and able to maintain when the original author gets bored.

I have the magazines, as well as a couple books that I'm happy to donate.
Since James volunteered the space, I'll work out with him how to deliver
the material. I suggest that we discuss the whole problem enough to come
up with some requirements and viable approaches, then leave it up to those
who will commit to implementing them to decide what's easiest for them.

Andy