On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 03:51:15PM -0600, Brian wrote:

> I have *heard* that the Cat5e standard insisted in 568A, but I think
> that's bogus.  I haven't met anyoine yet who convinced me to use the 568A
> standard over 568B.  Besides, data doesn't care what color the wires are
> anyway.

Data doesn't care, and the interface doesn't care -- for _ethernet_.
There were some ultra-high speed parallel interfaces under development
at Sandia Nat'l Labs, probably 10 years ago, where they found that at
really excessive data rates, different colored dyes in insulation had
measureably different propagation times.  They had to use all the same
colored wires in order to get around it.

But that's the sort of info you only use to win bets when you're
drinking. :)

--
I used to like HP before computers, and once I even liked Compaq,
but I liked DEC better than HP and Compaq put together.