From: Simeon Johnston [mailto:simeonuj at nssmgmt.com]
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 2:54 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: RE: [TCLUG] Co-living 100mb and 10mb ethernet

Why, Oh why, are there different specs?  Are they used for different
types of wiring?

> Hrm, you list 5 pairs.  Cat 5 only has 4 pairs...  :)
>
>    Color Codes for T568B
> Pin     color  pair  name
> ---     -----  ---- ---------
> 1       wh/or   2   TxData +
> 2       or      2   TxData -
> 3       wh/grn  3   RecvData+
> 4       blu     1
> 5       wh/blu  1
> 6       grn     3   RecvData-
> 7       wh/brn  4
> 8       brn     4

Or the T568A - we use this for some reason...
1 - wh/grn
2 - grn
3 - wh/or
4 - blu
5 - wh/blu
6 - or
7 - wh/brn
8 - brn

The Easy Aproach...

> > orange
> > orange-white
> > blue
> > blue-white
> > brown
> > brown-white
> > green
> > green-white
> > black
> > black-white

With extra wires leftover?  WOW,  I think I'll try it this way next
time.  Run an anolog phone line too...
;-)

It really doesn't matter as far as the data is conserned how you wire
it.  As long as it's the same on both ends (for the non-crossover cable)
it will work fine.  The wires are special or anything.
Of course if you ever have someone who know's what there doing check it
out you may get a severe talkin to...

sim