> Have you tried running "X -configure" as root?
	how do you think I came up with the basic configuration framework?
:) -configure doesn't deal well with multiple heads yet. :(

> It gives a very basic,
> but useable probe of the monitor and your card capabilities.
	yep. it's one of the coolest features they put in X4.

> It doesn't
> provide a Modes line to the Screen Section, but you don't need that
> right away.
	the basic modelines are built into X4 (near as I can tell). so
they're no longer needed in the config file. you only need explicit
modelines now, if you're doing nonstandard stuff (odd resolutions, tweaking
your refresh rate, timings for whacked-out monitors).

> Because of the exclusion of the Modes line, X will try to
> go at the highest resolution available that it detects.
	the other cool new feature of X4. :) goes to the best resolution &
refresh rate, rather than the crappiest by default.

> If this works,
> great!  If it doesn't, throw in a Modes line for your desired
> resolution, then manually tweak the horizontal frequence range.
	just found a new modeline generator tool this morning:
http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl
	haven't had time to play with it yet. other generators are at:
http://zaph.com/Modeline/
http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/calc.html
	or do 'apt-get install videogen'. (be warned; videogen sucks. it's
downright broken in some cases; but it's a command-line tool that does the
calculations for you, and can get you decent starting points.)
	never used kvideogen; tho I hear it's good. wasn't available from
its web site, last I looked.

> Xvidtune works OK, but it's not really necessary, unless you have a
> REALLY broken monitor, one that doesn't report it's capabilities
> correctly to X.
	yep. it's not a tool for the newbie. I barely understand it myself.

> In that case, I suggest you read the manual for the
> monitor to get it's published capabilities and compute the ModeLines
> yourself.
	manual, what manual? ;>
	that said; you can usually do a google search and get something off
a mailing list, where someone posted config info for their monitor. (which
is why I'm contributing back, by posting config info for wacky monitors that
I've gotten to work). or else the manufacturer's website; or there may even
be a file in your linux distro that has information about monitors.

>There is documentation in X to do this.  Don't remember off
> the top of my head, though.  I've done this a number of times for my
> stupid Panasonic S70, before I remembered to keep a copy on a medium
> that wouldn't get clobbered.
	yeah, X configs are something that ought to be saved; especially if
it's not completely stock. they can be a real pain to rebuild at times.

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises