On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 10:16:14AM -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> This is about a 1995 monitor; and as such, it's showing a few signs of
> age.  at the wrong timings, the monitor 'ghosts' lines -- windows will
> cast 'shadows' across the screen.

Ick.

> I'm driving it with the second head of a Matrox G400; which
> unfortunately has a crappy clock on it that only goes to 135MHz. so
> maximum resolution and refresh rate is kind of limited. :(

Have you tried running "X -configure" as root?  It gives a very basic,
but useable probe of the monitor and your card capabilities.  It doesn't
provide a Modes line to the Screen Section, but you don't need that
right away.  Because of the exclusion of the Modes line, X will try to
go at the highest resolution available that it detects.  If this works,
great!  If it doesn't, throw in a Modes line for your desired
resolution, then manually tweak the horizontal frequence range.

Xvidtune works OK, but it's not really necessary, unless you have a
REALLY broken monitor, one that doesn't report it's capabilities
correctly to X.  In that case, I suggest you read the manual for the
monitor to get it's published capabilities and compute the ModeLines
yourself.  There is documentation in X to do this.  Don't remember off
the top of my head, though.  I've done this a number of times for my
stupid Panasonic S70, before I remembered to keep a copy on a medium
that wouldn't get clobbered.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD