Since I  spent time figuring this out, I'm going to post it here, in the
interests of the next guy who wants to do something similar, and does a
Google search for it. :)

This is about a 1995 monitor; and as such, it's showing a few signs of age.
at the wrong timings, the monitor 'ghosts' lines -- windows will cast
'shadows' across the screen.
I'm driving it with the second head of a Matrox G400; which unfortunately
has a crappy clock on it that only goes to 135MHz. so maximum resolution and
refresh rate is kind of limited. :(
I had it going at 1280x1024 at 75Hz for a while (max refresh it will do at
1280x1024); but lately the flicker was bothering my eye (just the right eye;
since that's the side that monitor is on). so I spent a while with xvidtune,
videogen, and some guesstimated tweaks, and I now have a modeline for
1152x864 at 88Hz; which doesn't ghost, and hasn't yet blown up anything. :)

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor1"
        VendorName   "NOK"
        ModelName    "NOKIA 445X"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 102.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
        Mode    "1152x864"
                DotClock 120.00   # the original modeline was 108.00
				  # but it seems that you can just turn
				  # up the dotclock without breaking
				  # too many other timings, as long as it
				  # doesn't exceed the maximum clock speed
				  # of that output
                HTimings 1152 1172 1388 1492 # turning up the last value
					     # removed the ghosting
					     # eventually. it's the value
					     # that the 'wider' button on
					     # xvidtune increases.