On Fri, 2001-11-09 at 16:55, Mike Bresnahan wrote:
> Why are so many people so concerned about Linux being accepted by the
> corporate world?  Linux is cool because of the very fact that it is not
> accepted by the corporate world.  It's highly configurable, the source code
> is available, it's free... it's, it's geek heaven!  To become accepted by
> the corporate world some or all of these things would have to change, no?
> It would have to become more like Microsoft Windows and in so doing it would
> cease to be cool.  I say, forget about evangelizing Linux to the corporate
> world and leave it where it belongs and is loved.  Am I insane?

Well, if the corporate world doesn't embrace linux you'll not see
opensource projects get funded by big business. In many cases this is a
considerable sum and allows the developers to hack and not have to worry
about where thier next meal comes from.

Absence of corporate sponsership also means that the information
devlopers need to write drivers for various pieces of hardware is pretty
much non-existent.

Furthermore, if the company you work for doesn't get linux you're stuck
administering / coding for win32 or one of the proprietary systems.

And lastly, no matter what happens there will always be a non-commercial
distro and non-commercial software to hack around on, use, and employ in
a production environment.

--
Ben Lutgens
Sistina Software Inc.

Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream

telnet decss.zoy.org 31337