> So for someone who wants to learn relational database concepts (with no
> background other than M$ Access) and wants to learn PHP as well, would you
> recommend PostgreSQL over MySQL?  I was planning to focus on using MySQL
> with PHP and Apache, would PostgreSQL be a better way to start?  I'm very
> unfamiliar with these database technologies at the moment and would welcome
> any feedback.

Personally I like postgresql. But as others have said there is a lot more
PHP+MySQL stuff out there than PostgreSQL anything. As far as I know Bruce
Momjan book is still the only PostgreSQL book out, though some others are due
RSN. So if you want to do this with a book in hand MySQL may be the way to
go.

That said if you are used to Access and want to "convert" your apps from
Access to one or the other, I've found postgres a little simpler for this
task. Mostly because if you have hard relationships in your Access app you
can implement them with Postgres. I know the most recent version of MySQL was
supposed to add support for this kind of thing but I haven't used it in a
while and when I last tried it wasn't possible.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com