On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 05:58:35PM -0600, Joshua b. Jore wrote:
> Ok so for a beginner, why not use MySQL? I've seen plenty o' books in
> Borders that cover PHP+MySQL. While that wouldn't be my choice for an
> actual application it's certainly a place to start and if the book covers
> both explicitly in concert with each other so much the better.

That's what I would go with too if I was recommending someone starting
with database. And there's a book from Paul Dubois on Perl and MySQL for
the Web.

> If you have time I'd recommend perl, mod_perl, and PostgreSQL together.
> But then I'm not a database geek so all I have to go on is the 'it scales
> better' sort of comments. This year I did web databases of ~33,000
> records. Next year it will be ~6,000,000.

I did a bunch of applications with mod_perl using both Oracle, Postgresql,
and Oracle and I absolutely love it! Hard for beginners though. A personal
project of has "drivers" for all three databases: DnsZone (url in sig).

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer>