On Tuesday 06 November 2001 10:56, you wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 12:12:15AM -0600, Marc Olivier wrote:
> >   ok, here is the situation with my request. I am going to pester Suse
> >   Linux, since it is there product, adn they should support it. Thanks
> >   to those who responded for the offers of help, I appreciate it. My
> >   main thing right now is, when I go into konsole, and I type lp, I get
> >   the following
> >
> >   "Get_local_host:  'localhost' IP address not available!"
>
> edit your /etc/hosts file. At a minimun you need
> 127.0.0.1	localhost
>
> It's always nice to add your IP and a host.domain.com
> 192.168.1.11 yourhostname.yourbugusdomain.com
>
> >   now, I can't get them out. What is happening?
>
> You're using SuSE, which means that if you edit those files and then at a
> later time run Yast it'll reset everything to the way it thinks it should
> be. Suse intends for you to ONLY admin your box with YaST. Though why
> ænyone would use that thing is beyond me, it takes 10 times as long to use
> YaST and navigate through untill you find what you want.
>
> Perhaps you should give RedHat-7.2 a try.

This is good advice up to the comment about YaST. It prefers that you use it
to build the files. If you just create your own (Example I build my own
resolv.conf file sometimes) YaST will show a warning during the SuSEConfig
portion of the process (actually its SuSEConfig that creates the warning). It
will create the file the way it wants with .SuSEConfig appended to the name.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com
Resident SuSE Bigot. ;-)