on my z50 WorkPad (a MIPS-based subnotebook), the power socket doesn't seem
to be connected very well to the rest of the machine. if I just plug it in,
the charging light won't come on. to get external power working, I need to
actually apply downward pressure to the power plug, which pulls downward on
that socket. it seems to be getting worse, requiring more pressure to work
as time goes on.

I've got a junk Thinkpad down in the basement with the same problem; so I
suspect something wrong with IBMs design.

anyone ever seen this before, and know how to take one of these apart so I
can solder on the socket? (at least I'm guessing that's the way to fix it).
I tried taking it apart once, and couldn't figure out (trivially at least)
how to get more than the keyboard off. the motherboard is all sealed up
inside the main case it seems.

Carl Soderstrom
--
Insert witty comment here.