We've got a big APC (http://www.apcc.com) UPS, the Symmetra model,
here at work and have had no trouble with the hardware.  It's been
somewhat of a challenge to get the software working and their
proprietary cabling is a pain to figure out.  If you're only running
Linux boxes on it, you might have better luck with the apcupsd
software than you would with the stuff supplied by APC.

HTH,

Eric