On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 09:38:23PM -0500, Scott Raun wrote:
> Could someone give me a pointer to 'upgrade debian from potato to
> woody'? It looks like I need to go to at least the version of apache
> in testing to get virtual hosting to work.

I don't think that should be necessary...  It works for me on a stock potato
(dpkg -s says "Version: 1.3.9-13.2") apache.  OTOH, I can't tell you why it
doesn't work for you, so that doesn't help much.

Anyhow, you don't need to go whole hog just to get apache.  Edit
/etc/apt/sources.list and change "stable" (or "potato") to "testing" on all
non-commented lines.  Then `apt-get update ; apt-get install apache`.  apt
will detect any dependencies that also need to be upgraded and ask you to
confirm that you want to upgrade them also.  Once the new apache is
installed, edit sources.list again and change "testing" back to "stable",
then do another `apt-get update` (or else you'll forget to do it the next
time you use apt).  You will then have a potato system with woody's apache.

If you actually want to convert entirely to woody, point sources.list at
testing as above, then `apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade ; apt-get
dist-upgrade`.  Technically, you should be able to got straight to the
dist-upgrade, but I like to do it in two stages; "upgrade" handles simple
updates (those which don't require any new packages to be added or removed),
then "dist-upgrade" finishes off the rest.

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d? s+: a- C++ UL++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+