On Mon, 7 May 2001, Simeon Johnston wrote:
> juice after the "Torture of the Thousand Paper Cuts" as I thought ) and
> they think it's a bad modem.

  This sounds like the problem I had. Do you have a CAP or DMT modem? I
have no idea what the acronyms stand for; all you need to know is that if
you have CAP lines (or a CAP DSLAM, or whatever the heck it is, I don't
know), you need a CAP modem; if you have DMT lines, you need a DMT modem.
Qwest is switching from CAP to DMT and if you ordered DSL at the exact
wrong time you might have gotten the wrong modem.

  Does your WAN light ever come on? If it never blinks or anything, you
might very well have this problem.

> I definitely don't want them ( Qwest ) checking anything inside my
> house.

  They wanted to check my house (er...apartment) lines too, before some
tech thought to ask me if I have the right modem. My lines are fine; I can
download at over half a megabit per second.

  Dan

--
Dan Drake <drake at lemongecko.org>