On Mon, 7 May 2001, Simeon Johnston wrote:

> Can anyone think of a reason I wouldn't get a signal?  I would like to
> check our house wiring first and I definitely don't want them ( Qwest )
> checking anything inside my house.  I know the wiring is kinda messed up
> but the phones work fine.

That doesn't guarantee DSL to work.

If you have a modern access box on the side of the house, you can do what
I did today.  Take the modem outside with an extension cord and plug it
right into the jack on the box -- the one you should disconnect when
you're working on the wiring inside.  (-90V when the phone rings while
your screwdriver's in there smarts!)  Anyway, that will tell you if the
problem is inside the house or not.

> Does DSL use all 4 wires?  I know that the phone only uses 2 of the 4.

No, just two.  Red and green, typically.

> I don't want to wait 4-7 days to *MAYBE* get my connection up and
> running.  Seems like a waste to just send the modem back and get another
> one that doesn't work.

What kind of modem did you get?  Should say on the sticker on the
bottom.  CAP or DMT?  I just got a DMT and am waiting for things to go
live.  If that's not what you got, I'd be willing to let you try mine and
see if it at least gives you a light.

When are you supposed to be live?  Did they say you'd be hot by this date?

Cheers,
Phil M

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous