On Mon, 7 May 2001, Dan Drake wrote:

>   This sounds like the problem I had. Do you have a CAP or DMT modem? I
> have no idea what the acronyms stand for;

Carrierless AmPlitude modulation and Discrete Multi-Tone.  CAP is like AM
radio, sort of, and I'm not sure, but DMT is more like FSK modulation on
a normal 56K modem.  (Frequency Shift Keying.)

My favorite bumpersticker -- "Down With TLAs"
(Three-Letter Acronyms)

> all you need to know is that if you have CAP lines (or a CAP DSLAM, or
> whatever the heck it is, I don't know), you need a CAP modem; if you
> have DMT lines, you need a DMT modem.

Yep.  For practical purposes, you can think of it as AM vs. FM.  Both work
and do roughly the same job, but they just don't speak the same language.

> Qwest is switching from CAP to DMT and if you ordered DSL at the exact
> wrong time you might have gotten the wrong modem.

Is that so?  Whew!  I was worried my DMT modem was going to be the wrong
kind (we're not live here yet, but waiting with bated breath.)

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous