> If you _must_ kill people, you can be a sleek and fast lightly armoured
> scout, or a heavily armoured juggernaught, or a whole variety or armour
> classes/weights/weapon-complement in between.

Many people don't take advantage of the team aspect, and don't seem to
care much how the team does. They stick to dueling, which I got bored with
in 1990. I've been playing T2 since it came out, and I'm not especially
good at dueling, maybe partly because my internet connection isn't so hot.
I do set up some very effective defenses -- sensors and turret grids. The
scoring system does reward this, since it tallies both "points" and
"kills". The latter are direct kills that you execute, while the points
come from repairing, taking out certain enemy hardware, or kills achieved
by your turrets.

> Now, what's better about Tribes 2? Well, better graphics, for one.
> Personally I'm waiting till the Cool mods make the transition (:

Mods should be emphasized. First of all, the architecture of the game
makes mod creation really accessible to people -- there's the physics
engine, and then everything else is scripts -- for both the maps and the
functionality of all the objects. The game comes with a map editor, and
all the .vl2 files are in fact uncompressed .zips. Which means you can
just dive in and start messing with stuff. You can change the maps, the
look and functionality of the vehicles, or the things that are
available from the inventory system. The documentation isn't really
there, but you can expect that to develop in the user community over time.

As Yaron suggests, mods that people make tend to strongly reinforce the
motivation for team play. This includes more specialization in classes, so
that each player would have more flexibility in what/how many items he
could carry if he is, say, an engineer. It also opens up the possibility
to enrich the scoring system, so that there are more ways to improve your
score than just killing players on the other team. However, it goes beyond
this, in that you can make an extreme enough mod to completely change the
nature of the game.

Andy