>   That's with gcc 2.96. Under Debian (gcc 2.95.2), it tends to
> spontaneously reboot my computer or just freeze it up, at no particular
> point.

I didn't have any trouble building it on Debian unstable (gcc 2.95.3). The
only issue I had was I needed to install libfltk1 and libfltk1-dev.

If you're actuall freezing (hard lock) when compiling I suspect a hardware
problem. (overheat due to heavy processor and disk activity). If you
compile seems to stall for a minute or two maybe it's just crunching
numbers and you're not giving it enough time.

Under RedHat it may just be the buggy GCC at work, or gcc is throwing out
a signal 11 (processor error, most often caused by excess heat) and
their make file is trapping that and giving you their less informative
error message.

If you have a recent computer going you can get lmsensors going to monitor
your CPU temp. Most likely you'll have to compile a kernel to do so. If
gcc throws out errors, consider investing in some more cooling fans. (PC
Power and Cooling's Sliencer fans are great! I have 3 of them in my case
and it is very quiet).

| Andrew S. Zbikowski       | Home: 763.591.0977 |
| http://www.ringworld.org  | Work: 763.428.9119 |
| http://www.itouthouse.com | PCS:  612.306.6055 |
|           When in danger, or in doubt,         |
|        run in circles,  scream and shout!      |