On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Shawn wrote:

> I have a couple of questions on my laptop.  I'm running Slack 7.1 and am
> facing these two issues:
>
> 1)  My PCMCIA NIC card is recognized and the module is compiled into the
> kernel.  the only way I can get the card to initialize is by doing an
> "ifconfig eth0 up" and then to rerun /etc/inetd1 to get an IP address or
> network connectivity at all.  I put both of these into the rc.local for

> 2)  I'm running Gnome, with the svga x-server.  Looking in the manual,
> my laptop can handle 1024x768 in 256, 65k, and 16.7M colors.  It looks
> like I'm running in 256 color, and I'd like to take it up to 16.7M.
> There's no refresh rate listed in the manual for my laptop's monitor
> (it's an XGA), and it has 2.5MB of video memory.  Can someone give me an
> idea of which lines I need to modify to get it to the higher
> resolutions?

> Thanks.
>
> Shawn

1)  The NIC gets initialized by card services when it's plugged in.  You
should get a message on the console when you do so.  I generally haven't
had issues if my NIC is hooked up when I boot; if I plug it in later, I
just run /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 manually.

2)  Try adding the line 'DefaultColorDepth 16' (in 3.3.x) or 'DefaultDepth
16' (in 4.x) to the section of the /etc/XF86Config (/etc/X11/XF86Config in
4.x) file that shows your server settings (under the one mentioning SVGA,
add one of those lines before the 'Display' subsections begin).

Hope that helps,

--
Michael Vieths
Foeclan at Winternet.Com