Michael Vieths wrote:

> 1)  The NIC gets initialized by card services when it's plugged in.  You
> should get a message on the console when you do so.  I generally haven't
> had issues if my NIC is hooked up when I boot; if I plug it in later, I
> just run /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 manually.

Okay, digging through dmesg and looking at bootup screens a couple of things
jump out at me.  Whether they're right or wrong, I'm not certain.  Here's a
small section of the boot process:

tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq=3) is a 16550A
cardmgr [51]: executing: './serial start ttyS0'
attempting to configure eth0 by contacting DHCP server
cardmgr [51]: initializing socket 1
cardmgr[51]: socket 1: megahertz cc10bt/2 ethernet
dhcpcd[81]: dhcpstart: ioctl SIOCGIFHWADDR: no such device
activiating IPv4 packet forwarding...
starting /sbin/rpc.portmap...
cardmgr[51]: executing 'modprobe smc91c95_cs'
cardmgr[51]: './network start eth0'

My thought is that it's trying to initialize the card, but something isn't
allowing it to.  This happens whether it's plugged into a network (10 or 100)
and when it's standalone.  I commented out the two lines I added into the
rc.local, and it no longer takes a couple of minutes to determine whether
it's going to get an IP or not.

I'm probably just going to leave it this way, and make up a script to run for
when I'm on the network.  For now, probably the easiest.

> 2)  Try adding the line 'DefaultColorDepth 16' (in 3.3.x) or 'DefaultDepth
> 16' (in 4.x) to the section of the /etc/XF86Config (/etc/X11/XF86Config in
> 4.x) file that shows your server settings (under the one mentioning SVGA,
> add one of those lines before the 'Display' subsections begin).
>
> Hope that helps,

Great!  Just what I was forgetting.  I knew there was something I had to add
in, but couldn't remember what it was that a couple of people helped me out
with on Saturday.  Gotta make note of this in my setup/notes file.

Thanks for the help!

Shawn