(Note:  Some parts of this response are dependent on the assumption that
you're using apache.)

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 10:38:01AM -0600, Heather Wagamon wrote:
> What's the best way to create a website in order to minimize the amount of
> pages you'll have to make changes on (like updating links...).  I was
> thinking that as long as I kept the same format throughout the site... that
> I could use CGI on the pages and have it call a .pm file that will have the
> link info and such.  Then I would only have to update the .pm file.

Are you using the perl to update internal links or just add standard headers
and footers to each page?  If the former, I would put the translations into
an external file so that even the script doesn't need to be modified.  If the
latter, it's already been done - check out mod_layout.

> Are
> there any security risks in this?

As long as you use a subrequest to find the document to return, there
shouldn't be anything to worry about.  If you locate the files yourself,
you'll have to make sure that they're within the DocumentRoot or a valid
Location, come up with some way of handling dynamic content, etc.

> I tried a sample and it worked fine
> except that once in a while the entire page will tile over itself many many
> times.  I'm not sure if that is a problem with my code or with my browser.

I'd say that's gotta be a problem with your code.  I've never heard of
anything that could cause a browser to do something like that on its own.

--
Linux will do for applications what the Internet did for networks.
    - IBM, "Peace, Love, and Linux"