> What's the best way to create a website in order to minimize the amount of
> pages you'll have to make changes on

That is a matter of opinion. For simple stuff like links I use Server Side
Includes. (old school!). You could do the same thing (and more) with PHP.
You could use a cgi script to do it but why reinvent the wheel (and open
potential security holes?)

Consult your webserver documentation on how to enable Server Side Includes
(SSI). It's fairly easy (and well documented) under apache.

To include a file, the SSI code looks like this:
<!--#include file="whatever.snip" -->

Instead of saving your files as .html save them as .shtml, and add
index.shtml to the configurations DirectoryIndex variable. On my system
(Debian) it's in /etc/apache/srm.conf and looks like:

srm.conf:DirectoryIndex index.html index.shtml index.php index.php3
index.htm default.html index.cgi

What happens is when a webbrowser access a directory, the server looks for
index.html, then index.php, index.php3, etc until if finds the "index" page
and sends it to the client. If you don't have direct control over the
DirectoryIndex config, you'll have to use a meta redirect index. (And/or ask
your admin to enable SSI/PHP/etc and add names to DirectoryIndex.)

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132