Jima <jima at gimp.damnation.net> writes:

> David S. Cargo wrote:
>
> > Are there some NICs that work better than others?  I have 3Com
> > 3c509b cards and have had no luck getting two of them working on
> > the same system.  I've got a Pentium 75 system (surplus from
> > Material Processing for which I paid $50) that I want to use
> > for my firewall box, but I have been putting off wrestling with
> > the issue until I get a DSL line (maybe sometime this month).
> >
> > dsc
>
>  Actually, the 3c509 works *great*...if you can get it set up right.  If
> you go to 3com's web site and download the driver disks (actually you only
> really need disk #2), extract 3c5x9cfg.exe, put it on a DOS bootable
> floppy (ugh, but it works) and boot onto it, you can change the
> configuration on one of the cards so that they aren't using the same I/O
> address & interrupt.  I've got a pair of these in my firewall, and they
> work great.

This is so strange.  I've dropped 3c509 cards surplus from dead work
into two boxes, and they auto-configured and were recognized and work
fine, without any of this horsing around.  Am I just very lucky, or
what?
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      dd-b at dd-b.net
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/