> This is so strange.  I've dropped 3c509 cards surplus from dead work
> into two boxes, and they auto-configured and were recognized and work
> fine, without any of this horsing around.  Am I just very lucky, or
> what?

The 3c509b and c can operate in one of two modes, pnp and non-pnp. My guess
is that they were configured for PNP operation and you have a bios that
handles pnp better than the pnp bios in 486's and older pentiums. When Plug
and Play was first introduced, there was a reason why it was coined Plug and
Pray. Nowdays, PNP pretty much works as advertised (at least on Intel and
Via chipsets.)

The other issue at play here is trying to get two 3c509's into one box. It
will work, but you'll usually have to tweak a bit (espically true for older
machines.)

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132