On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 07:01:23 -0500
"Spencer J Sinn" <ssinn at qwest.net> wrote:

> Let me make sure I understand this... You are applying JB Weld between
> the processor and the heat sink? I understand the powers of JB Weld, and
> duct tape for that matter, but I guess I had never considered JB Welds
> ability to transfer heat. I know it does not conduct electricity but I
> wonder at what temperature it starts to break down...?

JB weld is a steel-filled epoxy, and has a very high solids content. It's
thermal conduction characteristics are excellent, and I know that I'm not
the first person to use it to attach a heatsink. Also, I'm not too sure
about your comment that it is electrically non-conudctive.. I would assume
the opposite, due to the high metallic solids content. I don't think it's
nearly as good a conductor as say copper, but I'd guess it's not a great
insulator either. Unless data exists, this would be a worthwhile and
simple experiment.

As to temperature breakdown, JB is suggested for use in repairing casing
cracks on internal combustion engines. I've used it several times myself
in close proximity to an air-cooled motorcycle cylinder head, which can
easily run over 300f degrees. Your CPU runs well under that figure.

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-